GIT support in Synology DSM 4.3 Beta
A couple of days ago, Synology released the open beta of DSM 4.3. Somewhere hidden in the release notes there was mentioned that the NAS now officially supports the hosting of GIT repositories. This is great news for all programmers.
GIT support is activated by installing the respective package from the package center. Unfortunately the graphical configuration options are for the moment quite limited. The included configuration tool only supports granting GIT access to specific users.
The creation of new repositories must be done using SSH (do not forget to activate SSH support in the control panel!).
mkdir /volume<your prefered volume>/<your repository name> cd /volume<your prefered volume>/<your repository name> git init
What is lacking to make GIT support great?
Synology, if you read this. Consider adding the following features before DSM 4.3 goes final:
1) Make it possible to create new repositories graphically.
2) File Stations displays the created GIT repositories, but it should add an overlay icon to the folder to indicate that it is a GIT repository.
3) The current implementation only supports GIT over SSH. Unfortunately the official GIT plugin of Microsoft for Visual Studio 2012/2013 only supports GIT over HTTPS. Why not add support for GIT over HTTPS? (Please note: a workaround for this limitation is to checkout the server branch using the command line; use Visual Studio on the local branch and resync changes to the NAS using the command line. Although this is a workable solution. It is not ideal)
4) Allow file station to show the history of files in a GIT repository.
5) Allow to see network graphs of the GIT repositories (similar to what GitHub allows)