A couple of days ago, I have released the first version of my free open source WP7 application “Cloud Fox” to the windows phone market place. It allows Windows Phone 7 users to synchronize their FireFox bookmarks, history and open tabs with their mobile phone.
Developing it was a fun and interesting exercise. I was able to use some of the best .Net open source frameworks available. They allowed me to reduce the development time and they helped me improving the overall quality and user experience.
I wrote this article because I want to share these frameworks with fellow WP7 developers:
- MVVM Light: One of the best MVVM frameworks available.
- JSON.Net: Makes parsing JSON data very easy and it is much more standard-compliant then the Microsoft JSON parser.
- Silverlight Toolkit for Windows Phone: Offers a lot of high quality Silverlight controls. I used the ToggleSwitch implementation.
- Coding4Fun Windows Phone Toolkit: For the ToastPrompt control.
- Prism: For the ApplicationBarButtonCommand component, allowing me to bind commands to the application bar buttons
- Ninject: For gluing everything together 🙂
And a special thanks to NuGet; it made downloading and installing .Net libraries super easy.
Which .Net frameworks are you using for WP7 development? I’d love to know them! 🙂